tech news

SAS ad about imported Nordic traditions sparks furore

COPENHAGEN: A brand new business from airline SAS difficult the authenticity of Scandinavian traditions has provoked furore within the type of cyberattacks, a wave of social media anger, and bomb threats towards the advert company behind it.

On Feb 13 morning, Danish police cordoned off the realm across the Copenhagen workplaces of the advert company which created the newly launched business, in line with an AFP reporter on the scene.

Copenhagen police stated a bomb menace had been emailed to the company however that that they had discovered nothing of curiosity to the police.

Printed to YouTube on Feb 11, the advert asks “What is actually Scandinavian?,” after which solutions with “completely nothing… every thing is copied”.

It then goes on to record the origin of iconic Scandinavian staples like Swedish meatballs – which have been initially imported from Turkey.

SAS, based collectively by Sweden, Denmark and Norway in 1946, stated in an announcement that the business was meant to convey the message “that journey enriches us”, however others noticed it as an assault on Scandinavian tradition.

“What full rattling nonsense and self loathing,” Richard Jomshof, a Swedish member of parliament representing the populist Sweden Democrats, wrote in a submit to Fb.

In Denmark, Soren Espersen, vice chairman of the anti-immigration Danish Folks’s Get together, advised Danish newspaper Ekstrabladet that he was shocked.

“The federal government has to say that sufficient is sufficient,” Espersen stated.

Each promised by no means to fly with the airline once more.

Rival airline Norwegian additionally seized on the chance to poke enjoyable at SAS by posting a picture of a cheese slicer to Fb with the caption: “Fortunately, nobody can take the cheese slicer from us.”

SAS, which transports round 30 million passengers yearly and employs 10,000 folks, is 70% managed by institutional and personal traders with the remaining 30% shared virtually equally by Sweden and Denmark.

Contacted by AFP, the Swedish and Danish governments had no fast remark.

Dealing with a barrage of reactions, SAS on Feb 12 quickly took the business down from their social media accounts.

The corporate stated, nevertheless, that the “sample and quantity” of reactions meant it suspected “an internet assault and that the marketing campaign has been hijacked”.

When requested by AFP, SAS didn’t point out whether or not it meant to lodge a grievance, and the intelligence companies wouldn’t verify if that they had opened an investigation.

The marketing campaign has since been reinstated and on Feb 13 the video had virtually 320,000 views on YouTube. Feedback had been disabled however the video had almost 59,000 dislikes, and solely 3,700 likes. – AFP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *